Monday, March 22, 2010

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin

How strong are you?

I don't mean physically. I mean how strong of a person are you. What would it take for you to give up your ways, your beliefs, your faith?

I've been reading the book of Daniel. Wow. What an intense book. I have found that I have to re-read almost every line to keep up with what is going on. I want to keep my focus for once so back to strength.

Have you ever been threatened because of something you believed? Have you ever been criticized, ridiculed, laughed at, or made fun of because of what you think? The smart money is betting on a yes. I know I have and it sucks. It hurts, and it is embarrassing and uncomfortable.

However, have you ever been threatened by death for what you believe? Now, I know you have all heard this song and dance before, but I just can't help thinking about this when I read Daniel.

The book contains two stories of this idea. The first is the story of Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. You might instead remember them as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. The second is about Belteshazzar, a.k.a. Daniel. Kind of makes you wish you used to have a crazy name that God changed later huh?

I read these stories and I am amazed for a number of reasons.

First, I cannot think of a time when I have not been nervous to talk to someone who disagreed with me or challenged my faith. These men were told to worship a false god or king and they didn't even hesitate. I love the response of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego when the king threatens to toss them into the fiery furnace.

"Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, 'O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.'" Daniel 3:16-17

You have to love this commitment. Without a second thought they stood their ground and said no. But beyond that I love what they said next.

"'But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.'" Daniel 3:18

I love that complete commitment to faith. Not only do the men say that they will not serve his idols but they would rather die than do so.

Now Rollin and a few of the other guys tease me for always saying "I completely disagree." They are saying "I would rather die than ever come close to agreeing with you." Perhaps I should adopt their saying, give it a try for a few days.

Just in case you don't know the story, the king has them bounds and thrown into a furnace so hot that it kills the men who throw them in when they come close to it.

The king looked on the furnace.

"He said, 'Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.'" Daniel 3:25

The second story is quite similar. The short of it is, the king is convinced to outlaw prayer for thirty days to any man or god, except for the king himself. He is convinced of this because the other leaders just under the king are jealous of Daniel and wan to get rid of him to usurp his authority. The king agrees.

I love Daniels reaction to the decree.

"Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before." Daniel 6:10

Not, "Daniel was scared and hesitated." He went home and did what was right without so much as a deep breath. The men caught him praying and demanded he be killed. The king loved Daniel and fought for him, but eventually gave in and cast him into a den of lions.

"The king said to Daniel, 'May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!'" Daniel 6:16

The king was not thrilled by this situation.

"A stone was brought and placed over the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it with his own signet ring and with the rings of his nobles, so that Daniel's situation might not be changed. Then the king returned to his palace and spent the night without eating and without any entertainment being brought to him. And he could not sleep. At the first light of dawn, the king got up and hurried to the lions' den. When he came near the den, he called to Daniel in an anguished voice, 'Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions?'" Daniel 6:17-20

By now you should know that Daniel was fine, but we'll get to that in a minute.

This is my hope for myself and for you. I hope that we can become people not just of faith, but also of strength. I hope that we could be as fearless and faithful as Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.

"The king was overjoyed and gave orders to lift Daniel out of the den. And when Daniel was lifted from the den, no wound was found on him, because he had trusted in his God." Daniel 6:23

Let us trust in God the same way. And let us no suffer the fate that befell Belshazzar. God told him, in the form of a hand that wrote on his wall:

"Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin." Daniel 5:25

The words were Aramaic.
Mene means God has numbered your days and brought them to an end.
Upharsin means that your kingdom will be divided.

But Tekel is the one I fear the most.

"Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting." Daniel 5:27

No comments:

Post a Comment