Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Lady

It is not uncommon to exchange fake greetings with people in the elevator, on the bus, or at a crosswalk. It is, however, uncommon to have a deep conversation with someone in one of those situations.

Today I stood waiting to cross the street on the way to my class. A lady walked up to me, carrying one of those postal service bins full of mail. She was not a postwoman, she was simply taking the mail from her work to the post office to mail.

"Why hello there!" She greeted me like an old friend.

"Hello," I responded.

"Isn't this weather wonderful?" She asked.

"Yes," I said, "it's a shame the weather isn't like this all of the time."

"Oh I disagree. If the weather was this perfect every day we wouldn't stop to thank God as often as we should."

I was dumbstruck. I had never met this lady before, never spoken to her before in my life and she just said that?

A flood of emotions overtook me as I walked across the street when the light changed.

"Have a great day!" she said as she walked the other way.

I managed to squeeze out a "You too," before she got out of earshot.

My head was racing at this point. Why had I been struck by what she said. It wasn't a big deal, but in a way it was. It saddens me that I was taken aback because that kind of thing shouldn't bother me.

Did she know I was a Christian? Better yet, did she care?

Thank you Happy Lady, you made me think. You made my day.

If we meet again, I hope we can sit and talk for a while, but sometimes a conversation lasting only seconds says more than one could that lasts hours.

So keep smiling, keep spreading the love. We should all take a page from your book.

2 comments:

  1. I love that.

    Isn't it sad that we get flustered when people make comments like these? They should happen more often so we don't get dumbfounded, but then again, I guess it'd be the same as the weather - we wouldn't get to thank God (or think to stop to thank Him) for a smile He gave us. I like it when different things like these occur. Definitely reminds me of a message from God of "Hey, I'm still here and I still care about you"

    Though, I definitely think we should all do this more often - at least smile at strangers we pass. I like the tradition of "Howdy" a lot because it really can brighten someone's day. It has mine before when I was down. :) It's simple to make someone's bad day get at least a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you said that! I didn't even think about it from that perspective even though it is almost exactly what I typed!

    ReplyDelete