Saturday, February 19, 2011

Before God and Men

Lets go deeper.

This is what I think every time I read one of these devotional entries.

Lets go deeper.

It's not that this guide isn't great, I feel that it is supposed to be a springboard, and if that is it's purpose, if it is supposed to get me thinking, then it is doing and has done it's job.

Today's message is again about humility. I read through the passage, reflecting silently that this is the continuation of the argument for, push towards, humility. Then I read this: "God will remain distant and aloof, even opposing us(James 4:6) until we choose to humble ourselves." I'm not sure how I feel about that statement. Here's the actual verse:

James 4:6 - But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”


What do you think? I see that it says that God opposes the proud, but I struggle to think that the God that "so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son" is distant or aloof. I feel this heading towards an argument of doctrine, and I'm sure towards a place of contention and confusion, but here goes anyway.

According to Merriam-Webster, aloof means "removed or distant either emotionally or physically." This is getting confusing already. Isn't God omnipresent? Didn't he die for us? Doesn't he leave the other 99 sheep to find us?

Matthew 18:12-14 - 12 “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13 And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.

Another example, the Prodigal or Lost Son. Most know the story, but a quick refresher: A man has two sons, one asks for his part of the estate, leaves, blows through his money, hires himself out, and literally eats the same food that he is bringing out to the pigs because he has no food.

Luke 15:17-24,31-32 - 17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

He ran home to his father, expecting nothing but to become a servant. He knew his wrongdoings and was willing to pay the time.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.


The brother of the lost son is angry that his father is treating his brother so well despite his sins, and his father answers him, God answers us:

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

God is certainly not pleased by our sins and shortfalls, but he does not abandon us. He loves us completely, he died for us. He welcomes us home with open arms and even chases after us.

Now don't read this as an attack on the guide, but I think it is important to examine and not simply blindly follow. If the words are God's they will always stand up to even the most thorough examination. We are not to test the Lord, but I often feel that he enjoys being examined and explored because it draws us nearer to him.

I am with you
I will carry you through it all
I won't leave you
I will catch you
When you feel like letting go
'Cause you're not
You're not alone
- Red, Not Alone


p.s. Check out Red's new album, Until We Have Faces, very awesome!

1 comment:

  1. I also had questions about that statement. I checked out the verse and was also confused by their statement of God being aloof. I think we can FEEL like God is distant – I did agree with the statement a few days ago about how God “so often SEEMS distant” due to our unwillingness to humble ourselves. That’s us, in my opinion, “pushing Him away”. But, I agree that He will not abandon us. He says OVER AND OVER again “I will never leave you nor forsake you”.

    “I think it is important to examine and not simply blindly follow.” I needed to read these words tonight, although not really related to the guide or the experiment in general, but other things. “We are not to test the Lord, but I often feel that he enjoys being examined and explored because it draws us nearer to him.” I agree. Alex told me the same thing a while back when I was admitting I was afraid to ask questions (about God, etc.): “How will you grow if you don’t ask questions?”, she responded. God has answered many of my questions and through them and my search, I have grown closer to Him. :)

    Lastly, I think the guide mostly serves to get us thinking and to offer some prayer points, but I agree that I wish it were deeper. I guess that’s our job and God’s – He can take us where we need to go through these broader sorts of topics/messages.

    ReplyDelete