Thursday, February 25, 2010

Let it out

I've been listening to Seabird's "Don't you know you're beautiful" a lot recently. In concert the lead singer said it was a song about coping with divorce, and reaching out for help. This is true, but it is so much more than that.

"And all this time saying you were fine, and everyone still to blame.
Well there you are, you and your broken heart. It's written all over your face."

These lyrics should speak to all of us. We all have a hurt that we won't share with others, but why? What are we afraid of? Are we so scared of revealing that we aren't perfect, or that we have been hurt that it's worth it to go on in that awful state. I am as guilty of this as anyone, and I try to let it out, but it is hard. So where do we go from here?

What I have found is that not only am I unable to talk to the people around me I struggle to even talk about it to myself or in my prayers.

I'm too proud to ask. - Enter the Worship Circle

It's hard to be vulnerable, admit it, it is. No one likes to be vulnerable, that is not a radical statement. Why are we this way though? Why have friends if we aren't even going to talk to them? Why pray if we can't pray about the things that hurt the most.

Can you undo me, enough to heal me?

Take that first step, step out on that edge, see what happens. I need to do this as much as anyone, but what if you did that? How would that feel? How would that look or sound?

If you are approached by someone who is hurting this is what I ask of you. Drop whatever you are doing, stop texting, playing video games, working on homework, whatever and just listen. You don't even have to say anything, just shut up, pay attention, and be there. Respond if they want you to, if not, just be there to listen.

For those of us who need to talk (yes that is you) take the risk and say something. If you have before, you know how good it can feel, if you haven't yet, it's time you found out.

We only have one life, we only have the people in it for a short time.

Don't you know you're beautiful - Seabird

I see you laughing
But I know inside that you're crying
Just tell me what happened when things went wrong
We'll try to make sense of it all
Please don't blame yourself
Cause you're not by yourself
I've been right here all along
Don't have to be alone
Because you've always known
Wherever your heart is my home

1 comment:

  1. This is great - so true. God's been working on that with me a lot since joining homegroup, haha. :)

    Vulnerability is hard, but I've also seen how freeing it can be - from both sides (the one being vulnerable and the one lending an ear or shoulder or whatever). :)

    Great encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete